Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Hangs on Initial Test Run

I've finally installed Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex as a dual boot alternative to Windows XP. But I'm not quite ready with a How-To-Do post because, honestly, the installation didn't go as smoothly as I expected. The system just kept on booting on Windows. I did some tinkering around, and in the end I wasn't able to keep track of what I did to eventually complete the installation, except for the fact that I did.

Still, that wasn't the last of my troubles. As I explored Intrepid to see what it had to offer, the system kept on hanging in the middle of my exploration (at least 5 times on separate occasions) and I had to press the restart button to try it out again.

On the bright side, I still ended up installing Sun JDK6 and Netbeans IDE 6.1 through Synaptic, where both installations went smoothly.

Anyway, I think I've finally found a solution to this particular "hanging" problem. When I went to System > Administration > Hardware Driver, I was shown this dialog box:



I clicked on the Activate button (it's shown as Deactivate here because I already activated it). Since then, and it's been two days now, no more system hangs. I'm no genius, but perhaps it had something to do with the driver of my ATI graphics card.

Note: I know. I should have posted this before the "Screenshot of Android SDK...".

0 comments: