Physics in Biology (Part I) Introduction

In this part of the planet, most students take up nursing. These students are arguably the busiest and studious in our university. Unfortunately, a lot of these students don't understand why Physics has to be included in their course's curriculum. I also get such queries from Biology majors. Unknown to many, there's a lot of physics going on in plants and animals; humans included. Because of this, I constantly strive to increase my knowledge in physiology and other related fields in order to satisfy the skeptical mind.

This series attempts to share what I have already learned and imparted to my students in the hope that readers may end up realizing the importance of physics in understanding the how's and why's in biology, nursing, medical and health sciences, and other related fields.

Here's a teaser to give you an idea on what to expect in my succeeding posts:

  • Do you know that the color of a peacock's tail is brown?
  • Why can't tall trees grow in very high altitudes?
  • In an aneurysm, the weakened area may rupture because of the SLOW blood speed in that area.
  • Understanding torque can help prevent back-aches.
  • How does the body prevent its temperature from exceeding critical levels?

These and much much more in upcoming posts.

If you prefer a more technical approach, I highly recommend http://physiology-physics.blogspot.com.

0 comments: